You may remember Keshia Knight Pulliam as the adorable Rudy Huxtable on The Cosby Show, but this actress and philanthropist has been rather busy since her days playing Cliff and Clair’s youngest daughter. Keshia went on to star in a myriad of movies and television shows, most notably Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes to Jail and TBS’s hit series House of Payne. Just this year, Keshia was a contestant on Donald Trump’s The Apprentice and starred in TV One’s romantic comedy, Will to Love. Aside from acting, Keshia keeps busy by helping others and her community; she is the founder of Kamp Kizzy Foundation, a non-profit youth mentorship camp in Atlanta. She’s also been the recipient of a variety of awards for her volunteer work, including the “Daily Point of Light Award,” the “Phoenix Award,” and the “Community Service Award Key.”
Keshia kindly answered our pressing questions on all things fashion and beauty. Scroll below to discover her save-the-day hair product, face-saving beauty splurge, and makeup bag must-haves.
1. You’re asked to host a dinner for 3 of your fashion icons; where does this stylish soiree take place and who do you invite and why?
I would invite Angelina Jolie because I absolutely adore her. She is in a category of her own. It’s more about her holistic individual style versus just fashion. Next, I would invite Diana Ross because she is the epitome of old school class, elegance, and fearlessness. Lastly, I would invite Coco Chanel because she embodies timeless fashion and the power of womanhood. We would have lunch outside in the garden at the Palace of Versailles.
2. Every girl has a bad hair day; what’s your “save-the-day” hair product?
My save-the-day hair product is Miss Jessie’s Original Curly Meringue. I just wash my hair and slick it back into a bun while it’s still wet. All I need is a good bristle brush and some Miss Jessie’s.
3. Hair salon or nail salon; which visit or service is your can’t-live-without beauty splurge and who takes care of you like no other?
I have very sensitive skin so I always go to the same person for my facials: Jacqueline at the St.Regis Spa in Atlanta is my go-to girl. I always get the 90-minute facial. It’s a little pricey, but worth every penny! For my nails, Candace Hawk, owner of Candy Coated Nail Spa, in Atlanta is my favorite. Candace has been my nail tech for almost 10 years. Her meticulous attention to detail and cleanliness are unparalleled! She would agree that I’m kind of a meticulous germaphobe myself… so it works.
4. Fill in the blanks: Growing up, I was so hood fabulous because I constantly wore my door knocker earrings with my name on them! I’m definitely a Jersey girl!
5. If you could raid anyone’s closet (living or dead), who would it be and why?
I would raid Elizabeth Taylor and Josephine Baker’s closets because they were both such larger-than-life icons. I can only imagine the spectacular one-of-a-kind pieces they collected as they traveled the world.
6. Beach or mountains, and what are the three essentials that you pack for this getaway?
7. If you were on your way to a gala and someone stole your entire makeup bag, what product would you scramble to purchase, regardless of country or time of day and why?
My first must-have is a Dior Diorshow Brow Styler because great defined brows do something amazing to shape your face. Next, I need a Dior Crayon Eyeliner in Black, Lancôme Hypnose Drama Mascara in Excessive Black, and Shu Uemura lashes because the eyes are like the nipples of the face! The eyes are the first thing people are drawn to. Next, I would purchase MAC Powder Blush in Blunt and MAC Ruby Woo lipstick. I Love contour and MAC Blunt is my all time favorite. Ruby Woo is the perfect red. A good red lip with a little contour on great skin, and you don’t need foundation. Lastly, I would purchase Nars Illuminator in Orgasm and dab it onto the apples of my cheeks and bridge of my nose. It gives the perfect bronzy, dewy highlight.
*For more Keshia, log onto her weekly podcast, Kandidly Keshia, “an intimate discussion and look into life, love, and happiness.”