Designer, businesswoman, and all-around fashionista Nicky Hilton has had quite a busy year. From the launch of her style guide, 365 Style, last September to her summer collaboration with makeup mega-giant Smashbox to her most recent handbag capsule collection with Linea Pelle (we’re seriously obsessed with this Waldorf Canteen Crossbody), it’s amazing she fit a picture-perfect London wedding to new husband James Rothschild into her hectic schedule. But her unique sense of style – a fashionable mix of high and low – and composed personality make Hilton a serious class act; someone with the temperament to tackle endless projects with ease and grace.
Here, Nicky answers our seven favorite questions, from her personal fashion icons to the most essential item in her makeup bag.
1. You’re asked to host a dinner for 3 of your fashion icons; where does this stylish soiree take place and who do you invite and why?
Definitely a hotel bar; I’m obsessed with hotels. Probably the Hotel Bel-Air. I would invite Andy Warhol because he fascinates me, and I know he would would have A LOT of interesting stories to tell. Angelina Jolie because I’ve never seen her in person. She is a tireless advocate for refugees around the world; the ultimate humanitarian. I think everyone could learn something from her. Plus she’s beautiful to look at. Lastly, Donatella Versace. She’s cool, sweet, fun, and has an amazing eye.
2. Every girl has a bad hair day; what’s your “save-the-day” hair product?
Bobby pins. I’ll pull my hair back into a ballerina bun, do a messy top knot, low chignon, or a cute braided updo… the options are endless.
3. Hair salon or nail salon; which visit or service is your can’t-live-without beauty splurge and who takes care of you like no other?
Hair! Nothing feels as good as a fresh blowout. I’ve been using the app Glamsquad a lot recently. They are reasonable and come to your house.
4. Fill in the blanks: Growing up, I was so trendy because I constantly wore whatever the cast of Beverly Hills 90210 did.
5. If you could raid anyone’s closet (living or dead), who would it be and why?
My mother, Kathy Hilton… and I do! She is a collector and holds on to everything (she still has all of my baby clothes and school work). She has so many amazing pieces from the ’70s and ’80s. I love to borrow her vintage Zandra Rhodes, Chanel, and Oscar de la Renta. She also has the best collection of costume jewelry. I could play in her closet for hours! Unfortunately, we don’t have the same shoe size.
6. Beach or mountains, and what are the three essentials that you pack for this getaway?
Beach. I would take a Victoria’s Secret bikini, Illesteva Leonard Sunglasses in Tortoise, and Algenist Ultra Lightweight UV Defense Fluid SPF 50.
7. If you were on your way to a gala and someone stole your entire makeup bag, what product would you scramble to purchase, regardless of country or time of day and why?
Black eyeliner. It makes me feel alive. I particularly like Smashbox’s Photo Angle Pure Pigment Gel Liner. I did a collaboration with them earlier this year and this eyeliner was in our Cat-Eye kit. It glides on smoothly and last all day. It’s like cement!