Creating the perfect Labor Day look takes a bit of planning and preparation. There are quite a few factors to consider, namely the five W’s. Who are you hanging with — friends, family, random fellow partiers? What are the plans — lounging by the pool or a seated dinner for all of your favorite people? When do the festivities begin — day or night, or is it a day-to-night sort of thing? Where is it happening — indoors, outdoors, beach, city, a bit of both? And the why we know: We’re celebrating the American worker.
We already doled out weekend outfit inspiration, but what about our glam? How do we keep our faces looking fresh and fabulous all.day.long? We reached out to celebrity makeup artist Kristofer Buckle, whose clients include Christina Aguilera, Blake Lively, and Jessica Chastain, to school us in the art of the ultimate day-to-night Labor Day beauty look, regardless of who, what, when, and where the festivities are taking place. Here are Kristofer’s 12 simples steps to creating a universally fabulous, flawless, and festive face:
1. “Start with sunblock, this will help you look great on Labor Day 2035!”
3. “It’s very important to set your makeup with a translucent powder if you want it to last all day,” explains Kristofer. TRY: (c) NARS Light Reflecting Loose Setting Powder ($36).
4. For cheeks, use a universally-appealing bright coral blush shade. “This color is great on everyone regardless of complexion, and gives a fresh clean summer look,” says Kristofer. TRY: (d) Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blush in Tipsy ($28).
5. Kristofer suggests using a cantaloupe-toned eyeshadow and swiping over the entire eyelid, explaining that this look is about, “keeping the eyes bold but simple.” Use (e) Laura Mercier Ginger ($24).
6. Line upper lash line to create a tight line, but make sure to choose a waterproof eyeliner. Kristofer likes (f) MAC’s Fluidline in Blacktrack ($17).
7. Highlight the brow bone: “Take your blush brush and use what’s left of the coral blush to sweep lightly across brow bones.”
8. Waterproof mascara is a must. “Curl your upper lashes and apply lots of waterproof mascara, such as (g) CoverGirl LashBlast ($9),” says Kristofer. “And of course, create a half lash to the outer corner of your eye for a flirty lift without messing without lots of dark shadow.”
9. For lips, opt for a red-coral or pink matte lipstick. Matte has more staying power in heat and humidity. Kristofer likes (h) L’Oreal’s Le Matte Lip Color Sticks ($10) in Mad For Matte, She’s So Matte, or Matte For Me.
10. Turning your daytime look into nighttime glam is simple. But first, you’ve got to remove excess oils caused by heat and humidity. “When the sun goes down, blot face with blotting papers,” explains Kristofer. TRY: (i) Boscia Clear Complexion Blotting Linens ($10).
11. At this point, he also recommends adding mascara to lower lashes and applying an illuminating powder, like (j) L’Oreal’s True Match Lumi Powder ($11), to the inner corner of the eyes and tops of cheeks, for added evening drama.
12. Finish with a liquid body bronzing product that offers a kick of shimmer. “Don’t forget to add glow to any skin that shows, like shoulders, upper arms, and legs!” TRY: (k) Scott Barnes’ Body Bling ($42).
Now, go get your party on.